Subject: Re: Tone Genics

From: Steve Schow <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 1994 21:23:52 -0400

I called Roland and talked to them.  Any drive up to 80 MB will work if it
has the older Sony mechanism in it.  This includes CMS, MicroNet, Microtech,
etc....but only up to 80 MB.

The manual lists three specific models from Apple and CMS.

The only Cd-ROM drive that they knew about was their own.  The guy had tried
many different drives and nothing ever worked.  I happen to know that this
Tone Genics outfit made an upgrade for the HD5-IF which included both a
hardware upgrade as well as software which gave you support for Syquest 44 MB 
cartridges and other 3rd party CD-ROM drives.  It also made some improvements
to the OS so that loading would be faster from a CD-ROM than from the normal
Roland drive.

The guy (Jim Norman) ALSO said that for some strange reason he found that
the Syquest-105 removeable drives DID work...but only formatted the discs up
to 80 MB.  But at least they worked.  That sounds like the best option for 
HD, Get a Syquest-105 and a pile of cartidges and that would last until I 
can afford a better sampler anyway.

Plus, I still am going to look for a CD-5 CD-ROM drive.

Thanks again for your help.  You can put this on the FTP site if you wish.

-steve

------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve Schow         | But you don't need to use the claw, if you
[email-masked] | pick the pear with the big paw paw......
(408) 973-9111      | Have I given you a clue......?
                    |                    - Baloo the Bear
------------------------------------------------------------------

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From [email-masked] Mon Sep 26 17:58:54 1994
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Tone Genics
To: [email-masked] (Steve Schow)
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> from "Steve Schow" at Sep 26, 94 07:37:19 pm
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23]
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Length: 1069
X-Lines: 25

> I am trying to contact Tone Genics.  Anyone know how to reach them.  they make
> an upgrade for the HD5-IF SCSI interface for the S-550.  They used to be
> at 415-964-2560, but the number is now disconnected.

Ah, what did this upgrade entail?

> Anyone know of which HD's and/or CD-ROM's will work with the HD5-IF?

I have the manual, but it is packed up right now.  I can't get to it
for about a week, unless I come across it before then.  I'll probably
send it to the whole list, but it would probably be a good idea to
stick this on the ftp site (if the info isn't already there).

But basically, the drives had to be 20meg, 40 meg, or 80 meg, and
according to the manual, particular models.  Mine happens to be one,
and it is loud and warm (probably due to the older tech), but has
worked flawlessly.  If anybody has been able to get other
manufacturers' drives to work, please tell us, as I'd hate to think
that we are somewhat dependent on discontinued drives.

If you don't hear from me in a week, please get back to me in email as
I'll probably forget.

JT

----- End Included Message -----