Subject: Text post for Sgroup.net

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1993 01:16:00 -0400

John,
Is the following something I can post on the Sgroup net or
do you want to place it in a filesystem for FTP use only, or
don't bother doing either?
Thanks, ]<eith
 
Roland S-50 RGB Output For Atari Color Monitors
By Keith Meiere
 
             If you own a Roland S-50 sampler and an Atari SC1224
         color monitor, here is an easy and inexpensive project for
         you to create a monitor cable to take advantage of the RGB
         output on your sampler.  Since the Roland S-50 sampler
         has the ability to provide the user with a RGB color monitor
         output, why not put your Atari color monitor to good use?
         Normally, when creating and editing samples, your Atari
         computer is not being used anyway. What makes this project
         easy is that you are simply making a modified extension cable
         to connect the Atari monitor to the sampler. What makes this
         project inexpensive is the fact that the total investment in
         parts is under eleven dollars!
         --- MAKE IT ---
              The two connectors needed for the cable are an 8-pin
         male DIN connector and a 13-pin female Atari connector.
         Before connecting any wires, make sure you are using a low
         wattage soldering iron with a very fine tip. The pins on the
         female Atari connector are very close together and large
         ended soldering irons could cause some problems. Soldering
         pins 6 and 7 on the female Atari connector can be somewhat
         difficult because of the tight quarters. Before starting to
         solder any wires in place, hold the female Atari connector
         with vise grip pliers and use a pair of needlenose pliers to
         carefully remove the leads for pins 2 and 3 by pulling them
         up and out. These two pins are not needed since there are no
         wires to connect to them. This will give you a larger working
         area to maneuver the soldering iron when soldering wires in
         place. I recommend using a 3 to 4 foot cable but if you feel
         that the Atari monitor cable is long enough, you can use a
         very short cable to create an 8-pin to 13-pin "adaptor".
         After stripping and preparing the wires for soldering, make
         sure the plug covers and strain reliefs are properly placed
         over the cable (I always seem to forget to put these in place
         before it's too late). Follow the wiring diagram below. After
         soldering the six wires in place, make sure they match the
         wiring diagram and check the base of both connectors for any
         shorts due to excess solder.
                               PINOUTS
                 S-50                      ATARI 13-PIN
            8-PIN DIN MALE                    FEMALE
                   GROUND   2  <----->  13   GREEN
                   HSYNC    4  <----->   9   RED
                   VSYNC    5  <----->  12   HSYNC
                   RED      6  <----->   7   BLUE
                   GREEN    7  <----->   6   VSYNC
                   BLUE     8  <----->  10   GROUND
         --- TEST IT ---
         The cable acts as an adaptor and plugs into the existing
         cable on the Atari monitor. (NOTE: If you have a JVC style
         Atari monitor with a removeable cable adaptor, do not
         remove it).
         Before connecting the cable to the sampler and monitor,
         * ENSURE THAT BOTH THE SAMPLER AND MONITOR ARE TURNED OFF! *
         After connecting the cable, turn on the monitor and sampler
         and you should see a nice legible display. If the screen
         looks somewhat distorted at the top or bottom, you may need
         to turn down the brightness and/or contrast levels of the
         monitor. If the distortion persists, adjust the HHold
         potentiometer on the back of the monitor. Be sure to use a
         non-metalic screwdriver or similar tool to adjust the
         potentiometer. This adjustment is quite easy since you do not
         need to remove the monitor cover. If the display looks
         alright then you are ready to edit samples using the luxury
         of a quality RGB monitor.
    NOTE: 1)   The S-550/220/330 sampler MIGHT work with this same
               cable if the pinouts are the same, but, it is untested.
          2)   The author assumes no responsibility for modifications
          3)   Similar results may be possible using RGB color monitors
               other than the ATARI SC1224
    --- PARTS LIST ---
    8-Pin Male DIN Connector                          Part # LXS81
    13-Pin Female Atari Connector                     Part # ATR13FSD
    12 Conductor Shielded Cable                       Part # BCL-12S-10
    (Fewest conductors and shortest cable available from ORA Electronics)
    Low Wattage Soldering Iron With Pencil Thin Tip
    Needlenose Pliers
    Vise Grip Pliers
    Wire Stripper
    Solder
                                     All Parts Available From;
                                     ORA Electronics
                                     9410 Owensmouth Ave.
                                     Chatsworth, CA  91313